Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Title: My Big Brother
Author:Miriam Cohen
Illustrator: Ronald Himler
Publisher: Star Bright Books, 2005
Genre: Fiction Picture Book, multicultural
Age Range: K-2

Summary: My Big Brother is about an older brother who has looked after his younger brothers since he was capable. They never had a father so the oldest brother always took care of the family. His big brother taught him how to play basketball, look after his mother, wash his car, go to church, read to him, and helped him learn several other things. One day his brother has to go to the Army because he can't afford to go to college and then the younger brother has to take care of the family while his big brother is serving the country.

Response: I really enjoyed this book. It is a great multicultural book for younger students to read. This book is mainly for young children who are just beginning to read. It has simple words and sentences. This book made me think back to when I looked after my brother and I still do today even though he is 18. We have always had a great relationship. I would provide this book in my classroom for my students to read because it has a great moral involving a good relationship with your brothers and sisters. A lot of times younger children take for granted having a younger/older sibling.

No comments:

Post a Comment